There are various courses offered by experienced comedy performers in writing and performing stand-up (SU), in improvisation, and other facets of comedy performance. Many of the teachers/schools below also organise special regional sessions for interested groups, so if you are outside a capital city – just ask.
If you operate a comedy course in Australia, please send Viv your details.
- Laugh Garage Comedy Workshops with Darren Sanders & Garry Who
Dazz and Gazz run several courses a year: for beginners over several weeks, which culminates in a live performance Showcase Night at the Riverside Theatres comedy venue in Parramatta. They also run workshops in corporate comedy for comedians with more experience.
- Australian Comedy School: run under the umbrella of the Sydney Comedy Store and Sydney Comedy Festival – offers classes in Public Speaking, Beginners & Advanced Stand-Up, and an Impro Crash Course. Click here to check course dates.
- Australia’s School of Stand-up Comedy offered by the people behind Comedy Court, Quick! Some Comedy Quick!, and Comedy for Lunch.
The ability to make others laugh is a unique skill to say the least. This course will help You find out if You have this skill, and if you’re already funny, we’ll show You how to be even funnier!
- Improvisation Courses (Improcorp Australia)
For all performers wanting to be more spontaneous on stage and confident in handling the unexpected (besides, it’s serious fun!). Courses cover skill levels from introductory through to advanced, incorporating Theatresports(R) games as well as long-form improvisation. Classes are taught by veteran improvisers, some of them comedy legends, under the direction of Australian improvisation’s fairy godmother, Lyn Pierse.
- Impro Crash Course from Australian Comedy School
If you’d love to experience working in a comedy team, practice riffing ideas with other people, building comedy scenarios and characters together, acting them out as you discover essential skills for creating successful sketches, then the Impro Crash Course is an intensive program designed to build your skills quickly.
- 1-week Stand-up comedy Intensive Courses at the Last laugh
YOUSTANDUP.COM – With Triple J Raw comedy Finalists in 3 states in 2011 Robert Grayson now brings his stand-up comedy workshopping ways to Melbourne. It kicks off 24th July 2011 to he held at Last Laugh @ The Comedy Club
- Stand Up Courses at the Comics Lounge
Apparently these happen regularly but I couldn’t find direct information. The Comics Lounge can be contacted using the details here: [link]
- Brave Studios Comedy Impro with Sarah Kinsella
8 week course – This is a crash course in comedy and improvisation where you will explore what is funny and why, and discover how you can be funny on stage and in front of a camera.
- Impro Melbourne runs four different courses that are available to the general public: Spontaneity, Narrative, Character and Impro Gym.
The courses are designed for adults aged 18 years or older. Each course consists of weekly two-hour sessions run over nine weeks. These courses are ideal for actors, professional people, people interested in improvisation, individuals who’d like to improve their communication skills, and anyone who likes to have fun and try something new!
- Comedy Writing: held at RMIT several times yearly as part of their short course program.
In a competitive industry, comedy skills can offer writers a new income stream beyond drama writing.
The course is taught by Australia’s internationally acclaimed ‘comedy doctor’, Tim Ferguson.
- THE STAND-UP COMEDY EXPERIENCE with Robert Grayson
Aria Nominated Comedian and Top Comedy Trainer, Robert Grayson, offers his popular 6-week courses several times a year in Brisbane. The courses are designed for beginners, “young” comics who want to take the fast track or anyone who wants to gain invaluable life skills from this art form.
- STAND UP COMEDY COURSE with Fiona McGary
Learning the art of stand up masters techniques in connecting with any audience and creating powerful, engaging and direct communication.
This Course will guide you through everything necessary to MAKE IT HAPPEN.
- ImproMafia offers workshops and training in impro skills.
ImproMafia now offers workshops for people interested in learning more about the world of improvised theatre. Our workshop programme currently consists of beginner’s spontaneity classes – aimed at introducing participants into the world of improvised theatre – as well as one off master classes with world class impro teachers.
Aria Nominated Comedian and Top Comedy Trainer, Robert Grayson, now offers intensive comedy workshops in Adelaide. The courses are designed for beginners, “young” comics who want to take the fast track or anyone who wants to gain invaluable life skills from this art form.
Aria Nominated Comedian and Top Comedy Trainer, Robert Grayson, now offers intensive comedy workshops in Perth. The courses are designed for beginners, “young” comics who want to take the fast track or anyone who wants to gain invaluable life skills from this art form.