As the Christmas special shows crank up, many regular comedy rooms in pubs and clubs are winding down for a break over the festive season. Most will be back in February 2010, although a few are taking either longer or shorter breaks. The dedicated comedy clubs in the capital cities that have them will be open for most if not all of the holidays with special Christmas and New Year shows, of course. But if you’ve been thinking vaguely of catching a show at your local comedy room before Christmas, you just might need to get in quick.
Make sure you check your local media for special Xmas shows in theatres etc that don’t normally have comedy shows, too.
N.B. The details below are only the rooms who have made their season closing dates available to me. If you don’t see your local weekly/fortnightly room on the list, that doesn’t mean that it will be open throughout December/January. Most weekly/fortnightly rooms will be on hiatus after Sunday 20th December until at earliest after the Australia Day Weekend next year unless otherwise noted.
- Wild West Comedy’s Last Friday of the Month room at the Melbourne Hotel in Perth will be back for May-November next year.
- The various comedy nights at the Brisbane Hotel, the Brass Monkey, The Laugh Resort and Little Comedy all seem to be going strong until the week before Christmas.
- Comedy at Marble Bar (Tuesday nights in the CBD) has only one show left for the year. Returning 19th January with headliner Kitty Flanagan, then another week off for Australia Day, then back to weekly shows for the rest of the year.
- Tuesday December 8:Marble Bar, city, 0404 150 103:Adrian Saw, Portable 2, Tahir, MC David Smiedt
- Wicked Women Christmas Show
- Saturday December 12: The Roxbury Hotel, Glebe, 0404 150 103: MC Jackie Loeb
- Ha-Ha Comedy finishes for the year next Sunday (13th) and will be returning in February.
- Sunday December 13: The Roxbury Hotel from 7:30pm: Amazing alternative comedy variety night. Featuring – carnovale & culp, Ben Ellwood, Nick Capper and many more (including Green Room award winner cabaret character Buster Daniels].
- Comedy on the Edge (Tuesday nights in the CBD) also has finished for 2009. Returning in February with a shift to Sunday afternoons! (Sunday arvo comedy works well elsewhere, good to see Sydney having a go).
- Comedy on the Rox has finished for the year (congratulations to 2009 Quest for the Best winner Josh Dolin). Back with another round of the Quest for the Best contest in February, and will be managed by other Bendalls now that Kathryn has been rebitten with the stand-up bug and will be gigging around the comedy rooms and festivals.
- Other weekly/fortnightly rooms seem to be kicking on until the week before Christmas (ie the week ending Sunday 20th).
- The Comedy Store EQ has their Christmas Comedy Special from Tuesday to Saturday until Dec 19th.
- The Laugh Garage Parramatta finishes this year with their Xmas Special on Sat Dec 19th, returning on 9th January 2010.
- The Laugh Garage CBD is open Tues-Saturday throughout the holidays, closing only on Christmas Day (special Boxing Day show follows). Their New Year’s Eve Special is followed by a New Year’s Day show. Even their Comedy Contest kicks on until the week of Christmas itself, with the Grand Final on Tuesday 22nd.
- Impro Australia finishes this year’s Cranston Cup with the Grand Final at the Enmore Theatre tonight, and then unwraps the year with Impro Unwrapped on TUES 15th – SAT 19th DEC @ 8pm @ Sidetrack Theatre.
- The various weekly/fortnightly rooms seem to be all kicking on until the week before Christmas.
- The Comics Lounge seems to be finishing up on Thursday 17th December and returning on Wednesday 6th January, going from the website.
- Last Laugh@The Comedy Club has its Christmas showcases on until Saturday 19th December, return date in January TBA.
- The Sit Down Comedy Club at the Paddo will be breaking up on Saturday December 19th. The various rooms at other venues run by the Sit Down Comedy crew will also break for the holidays after their normal shows during that week.
- Comedy at the Prince Albert (Jupiters Casino) continues each Thursday night until Christmas Eve.
- Dockside Comedy Club is revelling in its Christmas Show season on Friday and Saturday nights until December 19th.
- The Albion Comedy Club is putting on more Xmas Shows than you can shake a stick at: Wednesday-Saturday until December 19th, Tues 22nd and Wed 23rd, and then a huge New Years Eve show on Thursday December 31st.
- ImproMafia’s Speakeasy Monday night shows have wrapped for the year, but there’s one treat left in store on Sunday December 13th – Impro Unwrapped fundraiser for Vinnies @ Brisbane Arts Theatre[read more]
- Livewired at the Powerhouse has already broken for this year.
- Alley Cat Comedy in North Hobart has its last fortnightly show for 2009 on Thursday December 10th.
- The Playground @ the Brisbane Hotel will be returning in on the first Thursday in February 2010.
Adelaide Comedy is putting on shows at all their venues (Arkaba HaHa, Marion Wednesdays, Thursday Rhino and Friday Rhino) until the week before Christmas.